The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco Review

Title: The Bone Witch
Author: Rin Chupeco
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Bone Witch, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Rin Chupeco is one of my favorite authors; she won my heart with the deliciously creepy, dark debut, The Girl from the Well. So when I heard that she had a brand new book coming out, words aren't enough to explain my excitement. And I was even more stoked when I discovered that this book was diverse; you really can't ask for anything more. But a high fantasy, with political intrigue, a powerful heroine, excellent, complex world-building, dark magic? Sold, sold, and sold again! I'm so excited that this lovely little gem of a book is a series debut--I can't wait for the sequel!

Tea is a dark Asha, a bone witch. She discovers this when she--wait for it--accidentally brings her brother back from beyond the grave! Though at first she is reluctant, she is forced to answer her unusual, grueling calling. Finding that she blooms, despite her dark power, Tea grows to love the hard, unforgiving life of a bone witch, though it grants her fear, scorn, and hate more than anything else. When she becomes involved in a dangerous political plot, she discovers that it is not just her way of life that ends up threatened, and she must decide whether to use her training to save her kingdoms, or to use it for other, more nefarious purposes...

I'll be honest: This book reminded me of a magical, young adult Memoirs of a Geisha. I loved it, it was absolutely enchanting, if in a dark kind of way. I loved the format of the novel, the way it went back and forth, from past and present. I was absolutely spellbound, though it took a little bit for the ball to get rolling. The world-building was excellent, and I loved that the author included a glossary in the back of the book, which was helpful, because there was so much information that was hard to remember. I also really adored the other characters that Tea came to love; her brother, Fox, her other brothers and sisters, and the other asha, even the unpleasant Zoya. But that ending though! I did not see it coming; I need answers, and I can't wait for the sequel! What a fantastic, groundbreaking series debut! I'm so excited for what more Rin Chupeco has to offer! The bottom line: A beautiful, fantastic series debut, full of dark magic, demons, and political intrigue, The Bone Witch is one of the best books of 2017! Next on deck: Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst!

Comments

Popular Posts