The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle Review

Title: The Marriage Lie
Author: Kimberly Belle
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

I'd heard of The Marriage Lie through several reviews and, if I'm being totally honest, a few intriguing ads. So I ordered it from my local library. It's been sitting in my library stack for a little while, beckoning to me with its darkly thoughtful cover. I've grown to be a fan of mysteries, especially ones that take place in a fairly domestic setting. It makes the suspense and twists even more stark. This book was an interesting one, one that had me wondering: exactly how well do you know a loved one, one that is intertwined with your own life. It was a really enjoyable, meaty mystery, but I do wish that the villains had been more creative. Regardless, the ending more than made up for it--what a book!

Iris is a schoolteacher, happily married to the love and light of her life, Will. But her happy existence is shattered when the unthinkable happens: On a flight to Orlando, the plane goes down in a tragic accident. But things get even more confusing and frightening when she discovers that Will was in fact on a different plane altogether. Uncovering this clue leads Iris into a dangerous, taut web of deception and secrets, where she discovers that the truth may end up costing her everything, even her life...

I really liked this book. It wasn't perfect, there were some small issues. But nonetheless, I enjoyed it. It was a beautifully written, tightly wound mystery that had me turning pages frantically and suspecting everyone. I was even thinking about it when I wasn't reading it; I would get so distracted! The pacing was fantastic, breakneck; I couldn't put it down, and I was hypnotized by the lovely, tense prose. The characters, too, sold me on this book. I loved Iris and her family. I also enjoyed the other characters, though to a slightly lesser extent. This book was a lovely, thought-provoking examination of a marriage and a family, and it was just lovely. The bottom line: My first book by Kimberly Belle and definitely not my last, I loved The Marriage Lie! Highly recommended! Next on deck: Here We Are: 44 Voices Write, Draw, and Speak Feminism for the Real World by Kelly Jensen!

Comments

Popular Posts