A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas Review

Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses, book three
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Sarah J. Maas won my heart with A Court of Thorns and Roses, so I reserved the last book in the trilogy as soon as I possibly could. I finished the book on Thursday, and with my life's current craziness right now, I couldn't review it immediately. Plus, there were just so many feels to process. It's been almost a week, and I'm still reeling. Sequels make me so nervous, especially when they come out to mixed acclaim. I was half scared that I would hate it, based on everyone else's reviews, but I find that that isn't the case. I enjoyed it, but there were just a few kinks that kept it from being totally perfect. I don't want to say much about the plot, because I don't want to spoil anything! Despite my mixed feelings and apprehension, I really liked this book; it was a strong end to the series, even if there were a few things that could've been ironed out more.

A Court of Wings and Ruin picks up where the last book left off, with Feyre at the center of a war that could rip the entire world as she knows it to shreds. Forced to come to terms with her past, her family's checkered reputations, and what the more the conflict will cost her, she realizes that now more than ever, she must fight to save those she loves, even if it means sacrificing herself in the process. This story had a few little qualms that could've been fixed, but overall, I think the trilogy ended really strongly, and I'm really excited to see more of what Prythian and its inhabitants have to offer.

Sequels scare the crap out of me. Occupational hazard, I suppose. Often, they are lauded with praise, but they fall short. As far as A Court of Wings and Ruin go, it could've been a lot worse. It had almost everything: rich character development, good flow, heaps of political intrigue, characters old and new, all of whom I really grew to love. And I also really loved the way things were tied up. For the most part, all of my questions were answered, though not without a significant amount of bawling and screaming. (This series will make you feel everything. You have been officially warned!) And the ending--it was good! I wasn't entirely satisfied, because there were a few things I was still left wondering about, but I'm happy with the way things turned out, and I'm excited for more! The bottom line: The third and last book in the bestselling smash hit series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Wings and Ruin was not perfect, but it was a wonderful journey nonetheless! I really had fun! Next on deck: The Battlemage by Taran Matharu!

Comments

Popular Posts