The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud Review

Title: The Golem's Eye
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Bartimaeus Sequence, book two
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

My husband and I have been doing this series as a couple read, and part of the reason I've enjoyed it so much was because we got to kind of experience together. Plus, Jonathan Stroud has become one of my favorite British authors of recent times. The sequel to the quirky, hilarious debut The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye takes place two or so years after the events of the first novel, with Nathaniel climbing his way up the British governmental ladder, and Bartimaeus returning in all of his beloved flash, style, and sly humor. I won't say too much about the plot, so as not to give things away, but I loved this sequel! Rife with humor, political intrigue, fantastic world-building, exciting characters, with twists and turns aplenty!

This book took me a while to get through, as with personal engagements and work schedule, I didn't have as much free time as I would've liked. Nonetheless, this sequel was really strong and enjoyable. I've stated time and time again that sequels scare me, but this was wonderful. I loved Bartimaeus, as well as his sly, out-there sense of humor. Nathaniel was kind of hit and miss for me; I didn't know whether his character development was good or bad. I also really liked the way Kitty and the British commoners came to the spotlight more; the world-building made a lot more sense. And that ending! Gah! I'm so excited to read Ptolemy's Gate, and as I read further through the series, I find myself itching to read the prequel--I really want to see how old Barty got his start in ancient Egypt! The bottom line: A really exciting, meaty sequel that had me salivating for more, I loved The Golem's Eye, and I'm both scared and excited for the last book! Next on deck: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas!

Comments

Popular Posts