Return to the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz Review

Title: Return to the Isle of the Lost
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Descendants, book two
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

I found out that the third, and possibly last, book of this fun series was coming out soon, so in order to prepare myself, I ended up ordering Return to the Isle of the Lost. As you guys well know, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Disney. I loved Isle of the Lost, and I was so stoked when I realized that this was an ongoing series. And as far as sequels go, this was a really good one! I'm so excited for what the last book in the trilogy has in store for me and the characters I've grown to love so much.

Return to the Isle of the Lost picks up where the first book left off, with the children of Disney's most notorious villains settling somewhat uncomfortably into their new places on the island of Auradon. But soon, the kids start receiving threatening messages that warn of trouble in the place they once called home. Forced to go back, the kids realize that they may be the only thing standing between Auradon and a wave of catastrophic destruction, and unless they band together and stop their parents, they just might have to kiss their brand-new, good lives goodbye...

I really liked this book! I liked the premise and concept of the whole series (I mean, mini villains? Come on now, de la Cruz, you're killing me here!). But this sequel was good; it tied up a lot of loose ends, fleshed out characters, brought in new and old ones, as well as more twists and turns. It also didn't hurt that the book was full of adventures and magic, as well as many familiar characters, spun different ways, for a modern audience. That ending, too, was wonderful, and I'm so happy that the sequel is sitting next in my book stack. However, I couldn't give it a complete five stars, mostly because some of the references were a tad cheesy. Nonetheless, a solid, fun sequel, full of action, magic, and adventure! The bottom line: A meaty sequel in a fun series about the next generation of Disney villains, I loved Return to the Isle of the Lost! Next on deck: Rise of the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz!

Comments

Popular Posts