Red White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston Review


Title: Red, White and Royal Blue
Author: Casey McQuiston
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Romance
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                I’ve been going through a lot of personal stuff right now, and so, I’ve been craving romances and stories with happy endings. I don’t normally read romance, but with this book, that has since changed. I was reminded of just how much I love the genre. Red, White, and Royal Blue has become one of my favorite books of 2019; it was a romance that was nuanced, hilarious, sexy, and tender, all at once. I loved it; Casey McQuiston is a shining new talent in fiction. This modern, gay fairy tale swept me off of my feet and stole my heart within the first chapter. I was rooting for Alex and Henry through the whole thing, and I finished this afternoon. I haven’t been able to stop smiling. This book was as delicious and satisfying as a home-cooked meal, and I loved every moment of it. I’m glad I started my journey into the romance genre with this excellently written book. Enemies to lovers is one of my favorite romance tropes, and this book showcases it fantastically.

                Red, White and Royal Blue starts in the way that many romances do: two smart, sexy main characters, a rivalry, and explosive, engaging chemistry. Alex-Claremont Diaz is the First Son of the United States, the only son of Madam President and her senator ex-husband, and he hates Prince Henry of Wales, who he thinks is snobby, rude, and prudish. When an international incident occurs due to their mutual dislike, the two young men are forced to feign friendship. But sparks fly as they begin to understand each other, but it’s not exactly up to them to make the decision. Will our two knuckleheads find love, in spite of the forces rising against them?

                This book was such a treat! I was immediately engaged in the story, the pacing was nice, and the pages practically crackled with energy and chemistry. I loved McQuiston’s writing style, wry and funny and totally unique. The premise certainly wouldn’t happen in real life, but it’s not formulaic or unoriginal. I loved every escapist moment of it. The characters were so great I was constantly laughing or swooning! I adored Alex and Henry, as well as the characters around them: Zahra, Cash, June, Nora, and their respective parents. This book was a real breath of fresh air, and I’m very sad that I don’t have this book in my collection. The love story was what really got me though; that was my favorite part. Watching two people fall in love is such a magical, happy thing, and Casey McQuiston knocked this element out of the park. I’m so very happy with this book; I came away from it happy, diverted from my worries, if only for a little while. And isn’t that all we can ask from anything we read, but especially fiction? The bottom line: Sexy, sweet, and funny, I loved Red, White and Royal Blue! Easily one of my favorite books of 2019! Next on deck: City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert!

Comments

Popular Posts