Kingdom of Exiles by Maxym M. Martineau Review


Title: Kingdom of Exiles
Author: Maxym M. Martineau
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: The Beast Charmer, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                I’ve been wanting to read this book since before it came out, and unfortunately, I had to return it to the library twice before I was finally able to read it. I pushed it to the top of my stack, as soon as I was finished with His Hideous Heart. Normally, romance as a genre makes me leery, but it has got me through some tough times, so I’ve been trying to expand my literary horizons somewhat. But I was really excited for this dark, magical and romantic series opener, and I’m happy to say that it didn’t disappoint. The best way to sum this book was like something of a mashup of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Assassin’s Creed, with a lot of romantic tension and humor thrown in. Kingdom of Exiles is one of my favorite books of 2019, and I can’t wait for the next book in the series!

                Leena Edenfrell is an exiled beast charmer, forced to sell her beloved creatures in order to make a living after she is falsely accused of an unforgivable crime. Now in hiding and trying to avoid getting caught for the hefty bounty on her head, things get even more complicated when one of the magical underworld’s most dangerous assassins comes for her. She strikes a deal with him: her own magical creatures in exchange for her life. Unknown to her, though, the undying are bound by magic to fulfill their contracts, and Noc cannot risk his brotherhood—his family—of assassins, not even to save the woman that he can’t live without…

                I loved, loved, loved this book! The pacing was breakneck, and I loved the worldbuilding; I was immediately spellbound by Leena’s voice. I adored the creatures that Leena tamed and used as teammates, but my favorite part of this book was the romance between Leena and Noc; it was so white-hot that I was practically fanning myself as the book went on. I gobbled this book up in a day and a half, and I cannot wait for The Frozen Prince next year! Unique, magical, romantic and sexy, I loved every moment of it, and I really enjoyed the mystery behind Leena’s sudden and unexpected exile. And that ending! It was nothing less than perfect! I’m so, so excited for the sequel! Maxym M. Martineau has gained a diehard, lifelong fan in me with Kingdom of Exiles! The bottom line: Magical, full of humor, wit, and romance, as well as political intrigue, I loved Kingdom of Exiles! One of my favorite books of 2019, absolutely unforgettable! Next on deck: Season of the Witch by Sarah Rees Brennan!

Comments

Popular Posts