Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks Review


Title: Pumpkinheads
Author and Illustrator: Rainbow Rowell, Faith Erin Hicks
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                Okay, so, I’ve made no attempt to hide how obsessed I am with Rainbow Rowell, so when I heard that she was collaborating with Faith Erin Hicks for a graphic novel, I was so stoked that I reserved it at my local library right away. It’s been sitting at the top of my library stack, and I figured that this book would be perfect to get in the autumn/Halloween holiday mood. So, as soon as I was finished with The Lady Rogue, I dove in, excited. I’ll be honest: I devoured this book in a matter of hours. The art was warm, detailed, and absolutely gorgeous, and Rainbow Rowell wrote this graphic novel with her signature humor, wit, and romance. This book is easily one of my favorites of 2019, and I really hope another partnership between this dynamic duo is in the works, because I’m obsessed! This book was so achingly lovely that right after I finished it, I was longing to have it for my own collection!

                Josiah and Deja have worked every fall at their neighborhood’s pumpkin patch, but this is their last autumn before they graduate and go off to college. Deja is funny, fierce, and outgoing, and wants to try all of the fall festival’s treats before the night is completely over. Josiah, meanwhile, has been working up the nerve for the last year or so to talk to a young woman who also works at the patch. Add in crazy goat, lost children, hilarity and hijinks, secrets and friendship and maybe, just maybe, true love, and you’ll get something close to this lovely little book. I loved it so much. It was like sitting in your house, warm and cozy and sipping something hot, in front of a warming fire. This book is the literary equivalent to a cup of warm hot chocolate on a chilly fall day, and I loved it so much. But my favorite part of it was the romance of this book, unexpected and totally heartwarming. I really hope that there’s a sequel in the works for one of my favorite fall books! Rainbow Rowell’s writing was spare, sharp, and wonderful, and I loved the art; it was so lovely! Talk about a killer team! I loved Pumpkinheads, and you can be sure that I will be seeking out more of Rowell’s and Hicks’s work, both graphic and prose! The bottom line: As warm and comforting as a big mug of hot apple cider (I am NOT a pumpkin spice latte girl), I loved Pumpkinheads! Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks have utterly outdone themselves with this wonderful graphic novel! Next on deck: Nightingale by Amy Ludavics!

Comments

Popular Posts