Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass by Mariko Tamaki Review


Title: Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
Authors: Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel
Series: DC Ink
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                Everyone who knows me knows I love comics and graphic novels, and Harleen Quinzel is one of my favorite characters in the entire DC universe. So, when I went to book club last month and saw the gorgeous cover of this graphic novel sitting on a display, I knew I had to take it home with me. Mariko Tamaki, Steve Pugh, and DC Ink has hit another home run; this one just might be my favorite of the series so far. This book, colorful and vivid and distinct, was amazing: the art was gorgeous, and I devoured this book in a matter of hours. This book revisits Harley as a teenager, fighting with Ivy to save the neighborhood from corrupt businessmen and gentrification. She lives with a group of kind, hilarious drag queens who entertain Gotham City after dark. When Harley realizes that a corporation is doing its best to take over her city, she gets mad. Teaming up with Poison Ivy, Harley realizes that sometimes, the choices you make can define or destroy you…

                I really, really enjoyed this book! Harley Quinn is one of my favorite characters, so as soon as I got an opportunity to read it, I dove in. The art was gorgeous, colorful and compelling; I loved the way that Pugh used a muted color palette for everything in the book except for Harley herself; it provided great contrast. I was captivated by Harley’s hilarious, honest voice; the pacing was breakneck. I also loved the cameos from other, familiar DC characters: Poison Ivy and the Kane family, even Batman himself! But baby Harley is the star of this beautiful graphic novel, still destructive, fierce, and protective of her city, even its ugly underbelly. I was laughing, crying, and cheering by the time that I finished this book, and I absolutely loved it! Colorful, heartfelt, hilarious and honest, I loved this rendition on one of my favorite antiheroes. DC Ink, Mariko Tamaki, and Steve Pugh have done a fantastic job of fleshing out the younger years of one of Gotham City’s most memorable characters! The bottom line: Funny, beautifully drawn, surprising and honest, I loved Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass! Next on deck: Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron!

Comments

Popular Posts