Supernova by Marissa Meyer Review


Title: Supernova
Author: Marissa Meyer
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Renegades, book three
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.
                Supernova was the first book I finished in 2020, but due to the holidays, I wasn’t able to finish it until a few days ago. If I’m being totally honest, I didn’t want to finish it, because I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to Gatlon City, or any of the Renegades or Anarchists just yet. But I finished it, and I’ve been sitting on it ever since. This book was so bittersweet. I was eager to see what would happen, but I was also dreading the end, because it meant that it was really, truly over! Supernova picks up where Archenemies left off, with a traitor in the midst of The Renegades. Nova and Adrian are both left scrambling to hide their identities, and must withstand even more lies and betrayal as they do their best to protect their loved ones. Their greatest fears are about to come to life, and unless they can mend the rift between villains and heroes, they stand to lose everything, including each other. But secrets don’t stay buried, and Nova and Adrian must do everything to save their broken world…
                I really, really liked this book! I got it a few weeks ago, and it’s been sitting on the top of the library stack ever since; I finished it right as the new year started, but due to the holidays, I’ve been sitting on my review. Sequels always make me anxious, especially when I don’t have the previous books to refer back to, but I had nothing to fear like that from Supernova. I was instantly thrown back into the action, and it didn’t take long to remember everything that was going on. The pacing was breakneck, and I have to say that I had to walk away from the book sometimes, both to get a hold of myself emotionally and to make it last longer. I cried through a lot of it, and the fight scenes were some of the most nail-biting I’ve ever read. But even more than that, I loved the resolution that was presented in this book, even with all of the pain involved. All of my questions were answered, all loose ends were tied. But my favorite thing about this series is how it took one of our culture’s most prominent myths and turned it on its head, forming a brand-new classic. I love Heartless, but for now, Renegades and its sequels hold the place in my heart for this author’s best series. Marissa Meyer has done an outstanding job, and I will never forget this series! The bottom line: Dark, emotional, and surprising, I loved Supernova! Definitely a great choice for the first novel of 2020! Next on deck: Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater!

Comments

Popular Posts