The Diviners by Libba Bray Review

Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Series: The Diviners, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Set in the glittering era of the Roaring Twenties, The Diviners swept me away with a wonderful cast of characters, a terrifying villain that scared me to death, and a wonderful, well researched mythology!

Evie O'Neill, after an embarrassing incident at home, is sent to New York City to live with her Uncle Will--and she couldn't be more thrilled to be out of claustrophobic Ohio. Once there, she discovers her uncle has an unhealthy obsession with the supernatural, and he runs a museum the locals call 'The Museum of Creepy Crawlies'. But the gang soon discovers there is a serial killer on the loose, with a terrifying plan.

What I enjoyed:
-Evie, as well as the cast of characters she meets
-Naughty John
-The spooky mythology--there were times when I was up all night, no joke
-The research that went into the novel
-The setting of the Roaring Twenties--it couldn't have been more perfect
-I want to know more about Project Buffalo!
-Everyone's powers
-The spooky, fast-paced story telling

What I didn't like:
-Nothing! I can't wait for the next book, and I think Bray has done a wonderful job with this new series--in some ways it reminded me of her Gemma Doyle trilogy, and it was wonderful. Next on deck: Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev!

Comments

Popular Posts