The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan Review

Title: The Beautiful and the Cursed
Author: Page Morgan
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Dispossessed, book one
Star Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: I loved the idea of this novel--gargoyles!--but something about it just fell flat to me. Though I finished it, it was just okay--I'm hoping that the sequel is better.

Ingrid and Gabby Waverly have just moved from London to Paris on the heel of an unfortunate, unusual accident. But when they get to Paris, and their brother, Grayson, they find an old, crumbling abbey, and their brother gone. Desperate to find him, the girls are thrust into a dangerous world of darkness, malicious intent, and frightening creatures--as well as love, passion, and lust.

What I enjoyed:
-The concept of the novel--gargoyles able to shift into human form--it was a novel idea, but it wasn't executed too well
-Ingrid, and her bravery and her determination to find her twin
-The love triangle between Ingrid, Vander, and Luc
-Luc himself, a tortured gargoyle who hates his duty until Ingrid
-Gabby, and the way she was a main character too


What I didn't enjoy:
-The mythology was strange and oddly far-fetched, and in my opinion not enough was explained
-Several of the characters seemed flat and one dimensional to me, particularly those of the Alliance
-The ending really fell flat
-I would've liked to know more about Grayson, particularly about his past

This book was okay, but it didn't live up to my expectations. I'm hoping that the sequel is better. Next on deck: Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel!

Comments

Popular Posts