The Young Elites by Marie Lu Review

Title: The Young Elites
Author: Marie Lu
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: High Fantasy
Series: The Young Elites, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I've had my eye on this book since before it came out last year, and, ever since the hype of the Legend series from almost every quarter, I've been interested in Marie Lu's work. I was a little skeptical at first, because almost every single person I've heard talk about her work has raved about it. But seriously, this was me, at the end of this book:



Holy crap. Holy crap. This book was absolutely amazing! Where do I start with this? Marie Lu, you're officially one of my new favorite authors. I need The Rose Society, immediately! How am I supposed to wait until my library gets me a copy? I'm dying here!

Okay, okay. As usual, getting ahead of myself. But honestly, if this is what Marie Lu has to offer the world, I will gladly spend everything I am able to get my hands on this series for my personal collection. The worldbuilding of this novel was excellent, doled out in little bits and pieces throughout the novel, in a way that I enjoyed. It gave facts without seeming to be heavy or overwhelming. I loved the terrifying world that Adelina was born into, every gory, terrifying moment of it.

And then there are the characters themselves: Adelina, the narrator, so tainted by inner darkness that even she doesn't quite know where her loyalties lie, Enzo, the almighty (and pretty darn hot, too, while I'm at it) leader of a mysterious society, of a group of young people touched by disease, and gifted (perhaps cursed?) with powers the world has never seen, Rafaelle, the gentle lieutenant, and Teren, who is hiding secrets of his own, at the helm of the opposing forces.

I don't want to give anything away, so I'm going to stop talking about the plot. But man, Lu has a unique talent for beautiful writing, sympathetic characters, and amazing pacing. God, there aren't enough words in the English language that can describe just how much I love this book, and I cannot wait for the sequel. Holy crap, what a way to start a series: with a huge bang!

This is what a high fantasy novel should always be like. It literally had everything: a frightening world, so well-drawn I couldn't fight its hold over me, dynamic characters, political intrigue, more than enough twists and turns, and epic battles! I didn't want this book to end--in fact, I was more than a little tempted to start the book over just so it wouldn't be over so fast. The bottom line: A new, dark fantasy sure to make fans of Lu's writing, The Young Elites was a sweeping high fantasy epic that completely stole my heart! Next on deck: All The Rage by Courtney Summers!

Comments

Popular Posts