A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab Review

Title: A Gathering of Shadows
Author: V.E. Schwab
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: A Darker Shade of Magic, book two
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I ordered this book from my local library just after Christmas last year--I knew as soon as I saw it in the system that I had to get my hands on it as soon as possible. A Darker Shade of Magic was one of my favorite books of last year, so I was salivating for the sequel. And sequels are a touchy subject for me--I'm always worried I'm going to be let down, or that the hype is just that--hype, or that the rest of my friends are going to love it and I'm going to hate it.

This was definitely not the case for A Gathering of Shadows. I was so excited, yet so sad, because I didn't have a copy of A Darker Shade of Magic to prepare. (I usually like to reread before my reading a sequel--I'm so anal, I have to be thorough!) But I needn't have worried at all: A Gathering of Shadows thrust me straight back into Kell and Lila's dangerous, seductive world immediately.

I don't want to say too much about the plot of the novel; I don't want to give anything away for my readers who haven't read it just yet. But I will say that A Gathering of Shadows takes place a mere four months after A Darker Shade of Magic. It literally has something for everyone: magic, romance, fighting (including a fair amount of daring swashbuckling!), thrills, twists and turns, heart-stopping action, and naturally, a healthy pinch of political intrigue and more than enough knowledge to tie up any loose ends that might be on readers' minds from the previous novel.

But really shines aren't just all of these things, and more: It is, for sure, V.E. Schwab's electric, powerful prose that makes this novel sparkle like the gem it is. If I wasn't a complete convert upon reading A Darker Shade of Magic, I am now. It also helps a lot that she makes real, three-dimesional characters who I loved, hated, and cheered for, right up until the last page. The pacing of the novel was absolutely fantastic--I couldn't look away, even when I wanted to. Be warned, you will be reading through your fingers throughout this book! An absolutely amazing sequel to one of the best books of last year! I couldn't put it down! The bottom line: A fantastic, satisfying sequel to one of my favorite books of 2015, A Gathering of Shadows is sure to enchant you, from start to finish! Next on deck: Those Girls by Chevy Stevens!

Comments

Popular Posts