The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stievater Review

Title: The Dream Thieves
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Raven Cycle, book two
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Maggie Stiefvater, what in the world have you done to me?! You should be ashamed! Twisting my emotions like this! But before my emotions get the better of me, I'm just going to say it. I loved The Dream Thieves, but not as much as The Raven Boys. I was a little confused by the direction of the sequel at first. But I let most of my doubts go and just read. And despite myself, even when I was fighting it, I fell under Stiefvater's spell al over again.

The Dream Thieves picks up with a more personal point of view of the series--with this book, you get to see the story (mostly) from Ronan's perspective. And as Ronan is one of my favorite characters in the whole series, in young adult literature period, truthfully, I really liked the way that Stiefvater offered us glimpses into his mind, and his life in general. (Ronan Lynch is now fighting Gansey in my head for my favorite Raven Boy...) I also enjoyed the way Ronan's individual story was tied into the larger plot. I have an even greater appreciation for Stiefvater as an author--it's almost magical.

But the prose was gorgeously simple, as per her signature, full of subtle magic and humor and utter heartbreak in spots. Old characters and new ones won my heart--however reluctantly at first. Full of magic and excitement and angsty heartbreak, as well as frightening twists and turns, The Dream Thieves did definitely deliver for a sequel, even if it wasn't quite the way I expected. I'm so excited for the next two books! The bottom line: A worthy sequel to the smash-hit series debut The Raven Boys, Stiefvater more than delivers for her loyal fans in The Dream Thieves! I can't wait to see what's coming next! Next on deck: Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater!

Comments

Popular Posts