The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Raven King
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Raven Cycle, book four
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I just finished The Raven King, and I am still dumbfounded. I'm not even sure how to put my feelings into words, exactly. On the one hand, I loved it, and I'm so sad that my journey into Stiefvater's magical world of dead Welsh kings, true love, hilarious banter, and strong family ties, is over. But on the other, there are also some things I wasn't expecting. How am I supposed to go on after this? How am I supposed to live? Stiefvater, you've taken my vital organs and crushed them under your feet. Excuse me while I go lick my wounds. My heart is in pieces, and I honestly don't know what to do with myself.

Worst book hangover ever.

The Raven King is the fourth and final installment to the runaway sleeper hit The Raven Cycle. And I enjoyed it, but that being said, there were also some things that I was disappointed by. (Darn these mixed feelings of mine!) I don't want to be explicit about the plot--I don't want to ruin the book for all the people out there who haven't read it. The Raven King grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go--which isn't surprising, considering--until the very last page. I couldn't put it down, and was on the verge of throwing more than one fit when I was forced to. So, the pacing, phemonal.

But as far as conclusions went, I was sad, and disappointed. I loved some parts of it, didn't dig other parts of it. (I HATE SEQUELS BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS.) Frankly, emotionally, I'm just dead. I loved it and hated it and my soul is rotting out of me. Thanks a lot, Stiefvater. Thank you so much. For killing my soul. The bottom line: Bittersweet and emotional, The Raven King delivers more in some places than in others, but I enjoyed it nonetheless! Next on deck: You Know Me Well by Nina Lacour and David Levithan!

Comments

Popular Posts