Huntress by Malinda Lo Review

Title: Huntress
Author: Malinda Lo
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I bought this book and reviewed it.

I bought this book for myself at the end of 2014, as part of my yearly Christmas book haul. It's been sitting on my shelf, neglected, ever since. My husband finally put his foot down and insisted I read books I've purchased, as well as library loans and review copies I asked for. So I've started my cycle, and I couldn't really decide what I was in the mood for, so I just went hunting through my shelves and picked Huntress at random. I wanted to buy Ash, its companion novel, but I decided to buy Huntress instead, since it was longer. (I'm kind of mad that I didn't buy Ash with it, because now I need it!)

I was intrigued by the plot--two young women saving the world on an epic quest--and the cover really drove it home for me. This was the first novel I've ever read by Lo, and I wasn't certain what to expect. But reading Huntress has completely whetted my appetite for fantasy, all over again. Not just for any fantasy, but the kind that Huntress was: epic quests! Magic! Political intrigue! Romance--and the gay kind! To say that Huntress embodies all of these things is true, but it is so much more than that: I really loved this book for everything, for the sum of its beautifully written parts. There was real love put into this story, and it is one of the best I've read so far. Can I have more please?

The prose was gorgeous, the pacing breakneck, and it had just the right amount of sensuality and romance--I was literally swooning through the book. And I loved, loved, loved the way Lo gave two female characters a relationship that didn't revolve around coming out, or being themselves, it was just organic to the narrative. The worldbuilding was fantastic--solid and so full of mystery. But the characters were what really sold Huntress for me--it, and they, completely stole my heart. Kaede, the stubborn young woman who wants more to her life than her meager ability with magic, Taisin, the other young woman forced to choose between her life's duty and her heart's desire, and Con, the reluctant prince who journeys through the treacherous, magical Wood to save his people. I'm so happy that I bought this book, because it was worth it. The bottom line: A tale full of magic, romance, and adventure, Huntress is one of my favorite books of 2011, and probably of all time--Lo is now one of my go-to authors! A delectable treat worth savoring! Next on deck: The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock!

Comments

Popular Posts