Every Hidden Thing by Kenneth Oppel Review

Title: Every Hidden Thing
Author: Kenneth Oppel
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Adeventure/Romance
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I'd like to start this review on a slightly personal note: I'm sorry I've been inactive lately! My husband and I just moved into our brand new house, and these past couple of weeks have been a hectic flurry of packing, unpacking, cleaning, and getting our affairs in order. You guys have been on my mind through it all, and I've missed all of you terribly, so I'm playing catchup now! Okay, on to the actual review.

Kenneth Oppel already won my heart with his teen Frankenstein series, so I'm not going to lie: I'm just the tiniest bit biased. But bear with me, I promise that this review is worth it. Do you love historical fiction? How about adventures, complete with exciting twists and treasures? Forbidden romance so real and bittersweet that your knees get weak? Beautiful prose? If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, you need to go to your local library or bookstore and get this book. Make sure you clear your schedule, because once you start this novel, you won't be able to put it down.

Rachel Cartland and Samuel Bolt are the two children of prominent, successful academics who have devoted their lives, at the turn of the eighteenth century, to unearthing bones of beasts long gone from our world: dinosaurs. The two teens race against each other to find dinosaur bones before their rival, and in the process, somehow, manage to fall in love. Forced to choose between what their fathers want for them and each other, the two realize that despite everything, first love might be worth risking it all...

I loved this book. Truly, I loved it. It was just so good. The premise and concept were wholly original, and I also really loved the way that Oppel blended genres like a pro: historical fiction, romance, action and adventure, to create something totally new. While this and the prose was wonderful, it was honestly the way the book went back and forth between Sam and Rachel that really made me love this book. The pacing, too, was breakneck; I couldn't put it down, and when I did, it was constantly on my mind. It was absolutely lovely, and the only real flaw was that there isn't more! This book is easily one of my favorites of the whole year! The bottom line: A fantastic, completely original book from one of my favorite authors, Every Hidden Thing is one of my favorite books of the year! Next on deck: Possession by Elana Johnson!

Comments

Popular Posts