The Secret of a Heart Note by Stacey Lee Review

Title: The Secret of a Heart Note
Author: Stacey Lee
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction/Magical Realism
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Stacey Lee won my heart last year with her gorgeously written and lushly detailed novel, Outrun the Moon, and shortly after that, she became one of my new favorite authors. When I heard that she was writing a brand new book about first love, perfumery and botany, and family, I just knew that I had to read it. It's been sitting in my library stack ever since I ordered it, patiently waiting to be read. This book has completely stolen my heart, and has become one of my favorite books of the new year.

Mimosa, or 'Mim', as she's called by her friends and family, is the only daughter of an armoteur, or, as she's called by the locals, a 'love witch'. Like her female descendants before her, she is gifted with a near supernatural sense of smell. But because of that, she cannot fall in love. And when she begins to work her own love magic, she quickly discovers that some things are out of her control, and that first love may be closer than she thinks...

I loved this book. Frankly, it reminded me a bit of Emma by Jane Austen. Though, to be fair, if there's matchmaking of any sort involved, I'm thinking of Emma. It was a hilarious, sweet, and often heartwrenching comedy of errors, full of the exhilarating highs and painful lows of first love. But love isn't the only thing showcased in this lovely, beautiful novel. Family was also at the forefront, and I loved it; this book touched me, all the way down to the soul. This unique, wonderful book is not to be missed, one of my favorite novels of 2017! The bottom line: A fantastic, beautifully written novel about family and first love, Stacey Lee has stole my heart yet again; one of my favorite books of the new year! Next on deck: Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough!

Comments

Popular Posts