I See You by Clare Mackintosh Review

Title: I See You
Author: Clare Mackintosh
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

One of my book club buddies was nervous about this book, so when I saw it lurking on a table at my local library, I took it upon myself to read it ahead for her, to let her know that it's worth checking it out. And it is! (You know who you are! Wink wink!) I've been really curious about Clare Mackintosh, ever since her first novel, I Let You Go. Frankly, I'm kicking myself over it now, because wow. Just wow! I am blown away, bowled over, my blood still chilled, and I've sat on my thoughts for a night because I was still processing. I've seen quite a few thrillers in my short life, but this is one that is electric, paranoia-inducing, and fearsome. A slick, creepy thriller with enough turns to boggle the mind, I See You is one of my favorite books of 2017!

Zoe Walker lives a relatively normal life in London with her husband and children. She's happy, or at least tries to be. But when a picture of her shows up in the local paper, she soon discovers a tangled web of deceit and betrayal, and the deeper she digs, the closer the danger looms. Forced to choose between having answers and her life, Zoe begins to realize that the danger may be in the one place she didn't suspect...

This book, in a word, was insane. This thriller seemed to creep into my mind, squirrel its way under my skin, until I was constantly thinking about it, even when I wasn't reading it. It was so creepy and scary; it had me jumping at every small noise and constantly looking over my shoulder when I went out, even if it wasn't alone. I loved every crazy moment of it. It's been a rather long time since such a type of book got into my head that way. While it wasn't entirely pleasant, I enjoyed the experience. It also made me think of just how much of myself I want to put out on the internet, because after all, you never know.

The prose was sparse and hypnotic, casting an eerie spell over me as I went on, until I literally couldn't stop turning pages. I also really liked the way that Zoe's narrative intersected with Kelly Swift's, the law enforcement officer who interacts with her. The whole Walker family was absolutely fascinating. And that ending--I did not see it coming! Wow! I've definitely become a fan of Clare Mackintosh! I can't wait to read I Let You Go! The bottom line: A creepy, twisty thriller that scared the wits out of me, I See You is one of the best books of 2017! Next on deck: Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth!

Comments

Popular Posts