The Book Jumper by Mechthild Glaser Review

Title: The Book Jumper
Author: Mechthild Glaser
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Book Jumper, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

One of my librarian friends recommended this to me (this totally pays off, always good for conversation and a bomb book rec!), and she told me that it was similar to Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. Sold and sold! I was so excited for this book, and that was only amplified when my friend told me that there was going to be a trilogy. (Always a good thing to hear.) Words were not enough to describe my excitement. The Book Jumper was translated from German into English, and published by Feiwel and Friends. First of all, the cover. So gorgeous and colorful! It spoke to me, as someone who has loved words as long as she can remember. This book was a promising, romantic, and utterly original series starter, and I'm so excited for the sequels! (That ending, though, I'm dying!)

Amy Lennox, and her mother, Alexis, are both fleeing to Scotland after personal tragedy strikes. Once there, they reunite with Alexis's family, most of whom do not know either of them. Amy discovers new family, new friends, a crush, and a more than healthy dose of secrets. When she realizes that she can literally jump into novels, whole new worlds are opened up to her. But more than pleasure lies within the pages of literature. Someone is gathering the jewels of literature and is about to use them to unleash dark forces, and Amy and her friends are the only ones who can protect it all...

I really enjoyed this book! It was beautifully written, original, a fairy tale of a more modern flavor--I can't wait for the sequels to The Book Jumper! I loved all of the characters, and I also loved the experience of 'jumping' through several classic books, including The Jungle Book and The Sorrows of Young Werther! But one of my favorite parts of this book wasn't just several artful odes to literature, and readers, it was the budding romance that Amy experiences. The ending was a bombshell, my jaw hit the floor. The Book Jumper also made me really excited and hopeful for what translations hold for the world of literature--what a hidden gem!

I loved almost everything about this book, except for a certain character I'm not going to name, because you'll see. It wasn't perfect, at times, the family politics got in the way of the main story for me, but nonetheless, what a wonderful book! The bottom line: A fantastic, beautifully written gem of a series starter, The Book Jumper was a wonderful book, an exciting, romantic romp through beloved works of literature! I can't wait for the sequel! Next on deck: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas!

Comments

Popular Posts