Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert Review

Title: Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
Author: Elizabeth Gilbert
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Nonfiction
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

One of my friends has encouraged me to cycle through my fiction with motivational books, as well as  nonfiction books on writing, to become more well-rounded. Since I was on my self-motivation part of it, I chose to read Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear. Gilbert is an author widely known, due to the success of her popular memoir, Eat Pray Love. But I've been wanting to read Big Magic since it was published, and now I had an excuse! I was really excited to dive in, and I came out the other side feeling validated and inspired. I feel like I've made a friend who gave me a hug right when I needed it, and now I feel like I don't have to apologize for seeking to create art, whether or not a career comes out of it.

Gilbert divides the book into six different sections: courage, enchantment, permission, persistence, trust, and divinity, and gives advice to people who long to leave the grind behind, if only for a little while. She argues that anyone, no matter their career choice or circumstances, can live a creative life. But you have to go out of your own way to enable yourself to do so. A lot of advice helped me, and I obviously needed to hear it. It made me feel better about my budding writing career, and about my future. Gilbert is kind, gentle, and sometimes gives the reader a good kick in the pants when they need it. I also really loved the way she emphasized the sheer love and joy that comes from making things, from creating. What a wonderful book! (I ended up writing several things down to remember them; I feel so inspired and happy after reading this!) The bottom line: A self-help, nonfiction book that encourages readers to let go of their creative inhibitions and create just for the fun of it, I loved Big Magic--I feel so inspired! Next on deck: Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor!

Comments

Popular Posts