Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor Review

Title: Strange the Dreamer
Author: Laini Taylor
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Series: Strange the Dreamer, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

When I finally heard that one of my favorite young adult authors, Laini Taylor, who won my heart with her fantasy smash hit, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, had another book coming out in March of this year, I was absolutely thrilled. I had to return it because I couldn't read it in time, but when I went to book club, I couldn't resist taking it home with me to try again. I ended up getting sick over the weekend, but when I was well enough to read, I began Strange the Dreamer and was totally spellbound. With gorgeous prose, a strange, twisty plot that could only come from Taylor, as well as plenty of action, swoon-worthy romance, and more than a healthy dose of mystery and intrigue, Strange the Dreamer stole my heart, and I'm so happy that this weird, lovely tale has a sequel coming out next year! Easily one of my favorite books of 2017, hands down!

Lazlo Strange is a nothing, a no one, taken in by the monks of the library that he calls home. He is orphaned, and has no friends. But he has longed for adventure since he was a little boy, and when a mysterious man called The Godslayer turns up, he jumps at the chance to go with him, and see what the world is outside of his beloved stories. What he finds is more astonishing--and appealing--than his love of books, and combined with a group of outsiders, the boy discovers that he just might be the only thing standing between the hidden city he's found, and total annihilation...

I loved this book, so much. The prose was hypnotic and beautiful, the pacing breakneck. I also loved the strange (ha ha, Strange!), weird plot that Taylor weaves. What worldbuilding, as well! (I'm so freaking happy that this book has a sequel!) But I think what I loved most, more than anything, were the characters, especially Lazlo. I really identified with him, because he was a man that found excitement through stories, but wanted more. I laughed, I cried; I loved this book. It was so weird, fantastic, and romantic! I loved the political intrigue, the mystery, and that ending--just stomp on my heart, why don't you, woman?! I can't wait for the sequel! The bottom line: A beautiful, heartbreaking fantasy tale that stole my heart and healed my soul, I loved Strange the Dreamer! I can't wait for The Muse of Nightmares! Next on deck: Fireworks by Katie Cotugno!

Comments

Popular Posts