Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle Review

Title: Spellbook of the Lost and Found
Author: Moira Fowley-Doyle
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Magical Realism
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Moira Fowley-Doyle won my heart last year when one of my library book clubs chose her debut novel, The Accident Season, for October. When I realized that she was writing a new book, due out in August, I was so excited, and immediately put a hold on it at the library. It sat in my stack for a little while, neglected, until I could finally get to it. And I'm not gonna lie; the cover was a huge factor in attracting me. It looked, honestly, like the perfect book with which to usher in my favorite season: autumn! (I know, I could say fall, but that word isn't as pretty.) But the cover was nothing compared to the story that lay inside. Rife with mystery and full of the sweetness that comes from the first pangs of love, Spellbook of the Lost and Found completely stole my heart! One of my favorite books of 2017!

Olive is an odd girl; she was named after the fruit, and she longs to leave her small Irish town behind to start a new life. She knows that she doesn't fit in, and most of the time, she doesn't care. But her life changes forever when she meets a pair of mysterious, beautiful twins, Rowan and Hazel, and their pixie-like best friend, Ivy, and comes upon a mysterious spellbook. Brought together by past events that she and her best friend, Rose, do not yet understand, the small group tap into the power of the spellbook. They have no idea that the book they've used to right past wrongs has a history all its own, and that the price they pay to use its power may be too high for them all...

I loved this book. The prose was gorgeous and sucked me into the story at once. Per Fowley-Doyle's signature, the atmosphere was gothic and creepy, flirting with the line between reality and madness. That was half the reason I loved it so much, the creepy, little Irish town, full of secrets both new and old. But I also adored the way the narrative bounced back and forth, between two time periods and three young women, Olive, Hazel, and the mysterious Laurel, who set the events in motion for the spellbook to fall into the wrong hands. I loved the way that the author took the magical realism genre, and again, put a unique spin on it. But one of my favorite parts of it was more than the mysterious, frightening disappearances, and secrets that abounded across generations; the love stories in this novel, all three of them, had me swooning like I was seventeen again! And the ending! Ugh, it was so bittersweet and wonderful! (I wasn't too happy that a library patron just stuck black stickers at random in the book, but the story was awesome!) I just can't wait for what comes next from Moira Fowley-Doyle! The bottom line: A gorgeously wrought, deep and dark tale of magic and the havoc it wreaks on three different families' lives, I loved Spellbook of the Lost and Found--hands down one of my favorite books of 2017! Next on deck: Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy by Ameriie!

Comments

Popular Posts