Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo Review

Title: Wonder Woman: Warbringer
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: DC Icons, book one
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I've made no secret of my pure fan-girl obsession with Leigh Bardugo; it first started with her debut novel, Shadow and Bone, and then it was further cemented by her sophomore series, Six of Crows. So when I heard that DC was launching a young adult series featuring some of my favorite superheroes, I was so stoked. The first novel in the series focuses on a young Diana Prince before she took up the famed mantle of Wonder Woman. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better author to put a brand new spin on one of my favorites, and first, female heroes! Beautifully written, fierce, feminist, and thought-provoking, Warbringer is a fantastic addition to the DC canon, and the only real flaw with it was that there wasn't anymore! One of my favorite books of 2017, and probably ever! I loved the way that Bardugo took Diana's story and spun it in a whole new way for a younger audience!

Diana, Princess of the Amazons and daughter of Hippolyta, born of earth and her mother's longing, wants nothing more than to be considered an equal to her queen and sisters. But she worries that she will be seen as nothing more than her mother's daughter. But her life changes forever when she saves a young woman, Alia, from drowning in the ocean. It turns out, though, that Alia is a Warbringer, a mortal girl with the blood of Helen of Troy (yes, that Helen of Troy) running through her veins. As the two young women's fates collide, they must become allies or risk the world plunging into another bloody age of war...

I really, really loved this book! Aside from Leigh Bardugo, I have a very special place in my heart for the all-around kickbutt woman that is Diana Prince, and this book was just amazing! It more than satisfied that comic-shaped hole in my heart, and it was fun to see her as a brave, headstrong teenager who kicks butt and takes no crap. Plus, I was really dying over the new spin on the familiar mythology of Diana, her mother, and the other Amazons! I loved the way that Bardugo took the familiar, lesser-known elements of the heroine's folklore and gave them a fresh, fun spin. The pacing was breakneck, and I loved the way that Diana and Alia fought forces both divine and mortal to reach their goal. And the feminist slant of it all! I dig that, so hard! Plus, the twists and turns! Ugh, as per usual with Leigh Bardugo. (Not that I'm complaining!) And that ending. I'm still salty with that, woman! How could you do that to me?! Diana and Alia were my favorite characters, but I also absolutely loved Nim, Theo, and Jason. I absolutely adored this book, and it was worth waiting over a year for! One of the best books of 2017, and I can't wait until the next book from this fun, modern new series. Psst! It's Nightwalker by Marie Lu! Batman, and who better to write an origin story for the Bruce Wayne? Words cannot fully express my excitement! The bottom line: A fresh, brand new spin on a baby Diana Prince, the girl who becomes Wonder Woman, I loved Warbringer--one of my favorite books of 2017! Next on deck: The Rattled Bones by S.M. Parker!

Comments

Popular Posts