Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart Review

Title: Genuine Fraud
Author: E. Lockhart
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I discovered the work of E. Lockhart when I was a freshman in high school. First, it started with The Boyfriend Book. I read it once, and I loved it. (It was also one of the first feminist novels I'd ever read in my lifetime, and it changed my life.) I remember going back to the school library, again and again, searching out that little white spine, hoping and praying it was still there. It gave me comfort in a very turbulent time in my life. From there, I moved on to The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. (In fact, that little gem is sitting on my shelf to this day.) So when I heard that she had a brand new book coming out, I just knew I had to get my hands on it. Immediately I set a hold on it from the library and spent my days waiting for it to come. When it did, I put it at the top of my stack. I spent the next day and a half fervently glued to the pages, breathless as I followed Jules's journey backward. This book has become a new favorite, and I can't wait for more from E. Lockhart!

Jules is a woman whose origins are foggy, and her best friend is Imogen. I don't want to say too much about the plot because that's half the fun of this book! The two girls cling to one another, sources of comfort in uncertain times. The format of the book is unusual, being told backward. But honestly, this book; it won my heart, and it's one of my favorites of 2017. I'm a total sucker for unreliable narrators, first of all, and the prose had me laughing, cheering, cringing. Genuine Fraud wormed its way into my heart and soul and refuses to let go, even now, two weeks after I've read it. It was a delicious, salacious mystery that had a powerful, no-holds-barred antihero its the center. It was worth waiting for, and I really enjoyed it! The bottom line: A fantastic mystery that had me constantly guessing, cheering, and screaming, I really enjoyed Genuine Fraud! One of my favorite books of 2017! Next on deck: The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge!

Comments

Popular Posts