The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge Review

Title: The Lie Tree
Author: Frances Hardinge
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I've heard things and been eyeing The Lie Tree since it came out last year, here in America. When I saw in our library's database that it was available at my local one, I put a hold on it. I picked it up when I could, and I was excited when it reached the top of my stack. First of all, a brand new, female British author to try! I'm always happy when I have the opportunity to experience a new author, and The Lie Tree did not disappoint! Unapologetically feminist, bold and brash, yet beautiful, The Lie Tree took me on a magnificent adventure that had me cheering, crying, and inspired! Frances Hardinge has become one of my newly minted favorite authors. One of the best books I've read in a while!

Faith Sunderly is not the most typical British Victorian girl. She doesn't at all care about marriage, her reputation, pretty clothes, and proper, prim behavior. She longs to be a scientist, just like her father, though she knows that the realm of knowledge is forbidden to young women. Chafing against the conventions of her time, she hates that she's nothing more than a caretaker. But when her father mysteriously dies, and she finds a fruit that is nourished from lies, she realizes that in order to find the truth, she must use all of her knowledge and expertise. But she may end up next in the killer's crosshairs if she digs in too deep...

 This book was a welcome, wonderful story that left me awed, inspired, and excited. With its gorgeous prose, take no prisoners heroine, lush, beautiful setting, and amazing pacing, The Lie Tree was an empowering, feminist tale set in forbidding, constraining Victorian Britain. It was thought-provoking, exciting, and emotional. It captured my heart and imagination entirely, and because of that, Hardinge is one of my new favorite authors! Faith was a flawed, well-written protagonist that won my heart and had me cheering throughout the novel. I loved that despite everything, she went after what she wanted. The pacing was breakneck, and I was glued to the pages in the two days that I was reading it. I was so enthralled with the book that I took it into the tub with me, twice! (And no, I didn't drop it!) And that ending! Oh my gosh, I was absolutely floored! I won't spoil the surprise, but my jaw was on the floor! One of my favorite books of 2016, and I'm so happy that I had the time to read it! The bottom line: A fantastic, feminist mystery that took my breath away and inspired me down to the nerves, I loved The Lie Tree! One of the best books I've read recently! Next on deck: Even the Darkest Stars by Heather Fawcett!

Comments

Popular Posts