A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas Review

Title: A Court of Frost and Starlight
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses, book four
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Sarah J. Maas and I have a complicated love/hate relationship. I didn’t much care for her Throne of Glass series, but I loved A Court of Thorns and Roses; I’m so very excited that there will be more, even after this book. I’ve had ACoFaS on hold since I heard of its existence, and it’s been sitting in my library stack for a while; my husband had to help me trim down, and I absolutely refused to return this book, because I’d waited for it for so long. When I realized that I couldn’t renew it, I pushed it to the top of my stack as soon as I was finished with Legendary. I was pleasantly surprised; I wasn’t expecting to love this little mini sequel as much as I did. When I finished it, I had to stew over it for a few days, because I just had so many feels afterward.

I don’t want to reveal much of the plot, because I’m sure there are readers out there that haven’t read it yet. A Court of Frost and Starlight picks up a year or so after the events of the final book in the trilogy, with the Winter Solstice coming up, and with it, a brief reprieve from all the worries and duties that come from attempting to heal the scars from the war and each character’s painful past. But our motley group finds hope in the darkest of times, even when the past threatens to drag them under.


Honestly, this book is one of my favorites in the whole series. I love Feyre and Rhysand, of course, but it was also really exciting to get the perspectives of everyone else, especially Azriel, Morrigan, Cassian, and Nesta. The pacing was breakneck, and I was immediately spellbound by the gorgeous, tender prose. It was also really smooth; I liked the way that the book flowed, and it was totally heartwarming to see the way that my favorite family of misfits interacted and celebrated the Solstice holiday. But this book wasn’t all fun and games; it was painful. After Legendary, I honestly thought that this book would be light and fun, more fluffy than anything else. But I completely missed the mark with that one; this book was some majorly heavy stuff. I laughed, I screamed in frustration, I cried due to heartbreak. And that ending! Oh my goodness, I need more, darn it! I couldn’t give it a full five stars, though, because at times the plot got muddled and hard to follow. Nonetheless, this book was lovely, and wonderful, and I can’t wait for what happens next in the land of Prythian! The bottom line: The mini sequel to the hit A Court of Thorns and Roses series, A Court of Frost and Starlight enchanted me, and I can’t wait to see what happens next in Feyre’s lush, dangerous world! Next on deck: Tradition by Brendan Kiely!

Comments

Popular Posts