Legendary by Stephanie Garber Review

Title: Legendary
Author: Stephanie Garber
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Caraval, book two
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I read Caraval last year, and I really enjoyed it, though the worldbuilding was confusing and left a lot of holes in the plot for me. As soon as I found out about Legendary, I ordered it through my library. I got it almost immediately because—lucky me!---my library had its own copy. It’s been sitting in my stack for a while now, and when I realized that it went back this week, I put it to the top of the stack and started it almost immediately after I was finished with Fatal Throne. Due to a small mishap, I left the book in one of my book club buddies’ cars, so she had to bring it to me the next day! Honestly, I was really pleasantly surprised; you all know how often I get sequel anxiety. If I’m being completely honest, I think that this was better than Caraval, and I can’t wait for Finale, the last book in the trilogy!

Caraval focused on the first game, and on the oldest sister, Scarlett; now Garber flips the script to focus on the younger sister, Donatella, or Tella, for short. The girls have escaped the powerful and dangerous first game of Caraval, saving Scarlett from a disastrous, ill-fated arranged marriage. But they haven’t freed themselves yet. Tella made a dangerous bargain with a mysterious, alluring stranger, and what she owes is something that no one else has been able to deliver: Legend’s real name. Forced to win the second game of Caraval to make good on her bargain, Tella has to rely on every bit of wit, bravery, and skill to win the game. But she realizes that she may have to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to fulfill her end of the deal. But if she wins, it could be the end of Legend and Caraval. The game has only just begun, again, and it could mean the end of everything that Tella has ever cared about.


This book was really surprising; honestly, I liked it a lot better than the first one, probably because I received more answers in Legendary. I have really bad sequel anxiety, but this book more than lived up to my expectations. I started it as soon as my friend brought it to me and devoured it in a day and a half. The pacing was breakneck, and my head was spinning as I read the book; there were so many enticing, tantalizing riddles that I couldn’t figure out. The worldbuilding was elaborated a lot more, and I was glad for that; the last book was really confusing to me because of that. And I was constantly guessing, especially as to Legend’s identity. I was also pretty captivated by Tella herself, magnetic, brash, and brazen, determined to forge her own destiny despite all of the odds stacked against her. This book is stuffed to the brim with action, intrigue, and romance so compelling that I was constantly swooning, but the real killer of this book was its crazy ending. How am I supposed to wait until next year for Finale?! I’m kind of dying here, Stephanie! I can’t wait to see what happens next! The bottom line: The explosive, romantic, and enchanting sequel to the runaway sleeper hit, Caraval, I loved Legendary, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the next book in the trilogy! Next on deck: A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas!

Comments

Popular Posts