Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner Review


Title: Mrs. Everything
Author: Jennifer Weiner
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                Jennifer Weiner has long been one of my favorite authors; I read In Her Shoes and Little Earthquakes in college, and I haven’t looked back. Of her more recent work, I’ve read her essay collection, Hungry Heart. I reserved her newest book at my public library and was lucky enough to receive one of its first copies. It’s taken me a few days, but I finished it yesterday. One of my favorite things about Weiner’s writing is that it puts women, and their stories, front and center. Mrs. Everything tells the story of the Kaufman women, through multiple generations. It goes back and forth, from past and present, and the spotlight is on Bethie and Josette, Jo for short, primarily. And this book; it broke my heart and filled it all at once. Jennifer Weiner is one of my personal heroes, and Mrs. Everything made me hopeful for the future. Wry, wise, searing, and powerful, I loved it so much. It’s one of my favorite books of 2019.

                This book revolves around The Kaufmans, comfortably middle-class Jewish-American family, and the growth of its daughters. The pacing was snappy, the prose quick and sharp and compelling. The characters seemed so real that I could imagine them sitting around me, talking amongst themselves. I loved the way Weiner dealt with the issues that plague women from the 1950s, and up to now. This book should be required reading for everyone. I loved the characters in this book, as well as their journeys from children into adults. Jo and Bethie were my favorite, and their relationship with each other was what really made the book. This is Jennifer Weiner’s strength: to create vivid characters and mesh them beautifully. Jo’s daughters also made the book a standout; I love Weiner’s novels because they focus on family and friends. I loved this book because it made me laugh, cry, and rage. The Kaufman family got under my skin and into my heart in the best kind of way. Jennifer Weiner has penned another fantastic, heartfelt masterpiece. The bottom line: Rich with warmth, humor, and wisdom, I loved Mrs. Everything! Next on deck: Star-Crossed by Minnie Darke!

Comments

Popular Posts