Under the Moon by Lauren Myracle and Isaac Goodhart Review


Title: Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale
Author(s): Lauren Myracle and Isaac Goodhart
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel
Series: DC Ink, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

                I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

                It’s no secret that Selina Kyle is one of my favorite characters within the DC canon, so when I saw Under the Moon sitting on a shelf at my local library, I snatched it right up. DC is currently in the process of rebooting their characters to appeal to young adults, and I, for one, couldn’t be happier. As soon as I was finished with Natalie Tan’s Book of Luck and Fortune, I dove into this graphic novel, which turned back the clock for Selina, beginning from the time that she was a teenager. Beautifully drawn in schemes of black, blue, white, and purple, Goodhart does an amazing job illustrating this graphic novel. Lauren Myracle’s tone is dark, jaded, a little bitter, and bitingly funny, and I loved her take on the young Selina Kyle. The first entry in the new DC Ink series, Under the Moon gives me hope that the next offering, Raven by Kami Garcia, and I’m so happy that DC has rebooted some of their most well-known characters!

                Selina Kyle knows how to take care of herself. After all, her neglectful mother cares more about Dernell, her abusive, misogynistic boyfriend. Running away from home at the young age of fifteen, Selina vows that she will not get close to anyone. When she is desperate for money and out on the streets, she falls in with another group of homeless kids, who teach her how to fight and steal. But things go badly wrong when one of her beloved friends disappears, and Selina is determined to right the mistake, even if it means coming across some familiar faces. Will Selina find refuge by herself, or will she be forced to go back to her broken home?

                Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman, has always been one of my favorite characters in the DC universe, and I was so happy to get an opportunity to see her childhood. I loved the sparse, tense prose of the graphic novel, and the way that it was interspersed with gorgeous, stark illustrations. The pacing was snappy, and as with Natalie Tan, I devoured this book in just a few hours. The dark, jaded mood and tone of the book perfectly fit Selina, even at such a young age. I also loved Selina herself, fierce and fiery and angry and sad. I cried for her, laughed with her, and was cheering by the end of the book. One of my favorite things of the book was the constant DC Easter eggs sprinkled throughout; I was laughing and smiling so hard that my cheeks were hurting by the end. The other characters also made a great foil to her, especially Briar Rose, Yang, and the other homeless kids. This was the first entry in the DC Ink series, specifically for young adults, and I’m so excited for Raven by Kami Garcia! The bottom line: Beautifully illustrated, wonderfully written, triumphant, hopeful, and dark, I loved Under the Moon! Next on deck: You Must Not Miss by Katrina Leno!

Comments

Popular Posts