Dangerous Alliance by Jennieke Cohen Review

 Title: Dangerous Alliance: An Austentatious Romance 

Author: Jennieke Cohen 

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 

Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance 

Series: Standalone 

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

 

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it. 


After I finished The Story of More, I needed something considerably lighter. I asked my friends what I should read, and all of them voted unanimously for Dangerous Alliance, so I decided to go for it. It’s no secret that I love Jane Austen and all of the things associated with her, so I was excited. I expected this book to be a light and fluffy romance, but it was so much more than that. It was a story of true love, but it also dealt with some serious topics, like spousal abuse, divorce, marriage, and personal autonomy. This was a take of Jane Austen given a thoroughly modern twist. I loved this homage to one of the greatest authors of all time. This book was the perfect antidote to the reading slump I was in after The Story of More! Romantic, hilarious, and refreshing, I loved Dangerous Alliance! 


Victoria ‘Vicky’ Aston is well aware that she lives a charmed life on her family’s estate of Oakbridge. She is a young woman who doesn’t wish to be married, preferring instead the company of her parents and older sister, Althea. But her life changes all over again when her childhood friend, Tom Halworth, returns from the war with France. Vicky has been rapidly approaching marrying age, and when a family tragedy strikes, Vicky soon finds herself in dire need of a husband. But a sinister plot begins to form, and the Aston family has to wonder if Vicky will even live long enough to be betrothed to the most eligible bachelor! 


I loved this book so much. After The Story of More, I desperately needed something that was lighter and less serious. Dangerous Alliance was funny, feminist, and utterly refreshing! I loved the way that it paid such homage to Jane Austen, but was still feminist and strong at its heart! I love reading books that take place in the Regency era, but this might be one of my favorites. The pacing was breakneck and within ten pages, I was crying from laughter. I loved the way that this book wasn’t your typical Regency romance; the whole time, I was laughing, crying, or screaming with frustration. I loved the element of mystery that Cohen used also; this was not a typical book by any means. And Vicky! She might be one of my favorite heroines of all time, to be honest. I loved her fierceness, the way that she didn’t compromise herself for society or for a man’s affections. I also loved her family, but most of all, Althea; I really felt for her and I loved the way that she fit into the plotline. I also adored Tom, Mr. Carmichael, Lord Dain and the rest of the cast of characters that fleshed out the rest of the book. And that ending! I didn’t see it coming, at all! What I had suspected was wrong and I was pleasantly surprised! I loved this book; it might be one of my favorites of the entire year. The bottom line: Hilarious, surprising, and refreshing, I loved Dangerous Alliance! Next on deck: A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer!

Comments

Popular Posts