The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister Review

Title: The Scent Keeper 
Author: Erica Bauermeister 
Age Group: Adult 
Genre: Magical Realism 
Series: Standalone 
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it. 

This is the first book I’ve ever read by Erica Bauermeister, and I can promise you all that this will not be my last! Rich, lush, and surprisingly tender, I loved this coming of age story, sprinkled with elements of magical realism. This book was so emotional and painful, but honestly, I loved every moment of it, even the difficult, more painful parts of it. I can’t wait to read more of Bauermeister’s work, because her prose was gorgeous, and the characters within The Scent Keeper stole my heart completely! 

Emmeline has known nothing but her father and the island on which they live, hidden and accessible only through a perilous channel. She has been taught everything by her loving, quiet father, especially about scents. But her father’s mysterious machine, holding scents that tell Emmeline all sorts of secret stories, hides more secrets than even she realizes. When she loses her father for good, she discovers that her entire life has been a sheltered lie: Her father stole her away from her mother, fleeing the consequences of a bad business venture. Emmeline, originally named Violet, is forced off of the island, and begins a new life. But she is desperate for answers about her family and the father she lost. Her journey will lead somewhere completely unexpected... 

I loved, loved, loved this book. The prose was lush and beautiful, though sparse. I also adored seeing the world through sweet, precocious Emmeline’s eyes. I loved the way that this book was a complete feast for the senses. I could smell the salt and the pine of Emmeline’s island, the faint scents contained within her father’s invention. I loved how this book focused particularly on the sense of smell; it was really different! I loved the pacing; I was sucked in immediately. I devoured this sad, beautiful little book within three days. It was amazing; I loved everything about it, but especially the characters. Emmeline was a great main character, and I loved watching her grow. But I also loved the supporting cast: Colette, Henry, and Fisher especially. And that ending! I cried my eyeballs out, in the best kind of way. This book was a wonderful, gorgeously rendering coming of age story, told in the traditions of the classics, and I loved every bright and painful moment! The bottom line: Rich, endearing and deeply sad, I loved The Scent Keeper! Next on deck: The Story of More: Climate Change and Where We Go From Here by Hope Jahren!

Comments

Popular Posts