The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare Review

 Title: The Girl with the Louding Voice 

Author: Abi Dare 


Age Group: Adult 


Genre: Fiction 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher because I won it through The Goodreads First Reads program—thank you so much to Goodreads, the publisher, Dutton, and the author, Abi Dare! 


TW: Abuse on page, sexual abuse off page, racism, language, violence. If any of these things trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters! 


In honor of Black History Month, I’ve decided to go through the books in my home library and find ones written by Black authors. The Girl with the Louding Voice focuses on young Adunni, a teenage girl who lives in rural Nigeria and dreams fiercely of being a girl with a ‘louding voice’, an education, and to become a teacher. But her dreams are all but shattered when her father sells her to become a third wife to an abusive old man. When something awful happens that Adunni has no control over, she runs away to the city of Lagos to find work. Once there, she is employed as a housemaid for a couple called Big Madam and Big Daddy. But the house, and her employers, are hiding dark secrets. Though her voice is muffled for a time, nothing can silence it forever, and when she enters an essay contest for a scholarship, her dreams are closer than ever to being realized. But will she survive all the people trying to stifle her voice? Or will she be silenced forever? 

This book was such a hopeful triumph, and I loved it so much. From the moment I read Adunni’s first words, I was absolutely captivated; I finished this book in a little over two days. It was rich with detail, and I adored Adunni and her immovable strength of will. I adored Adunni’s journey from a meek young woman taking everything life throws at her, to a strong, fierce woman who wrests control of her future from fate. I loved all the characters, particularly Adunni’s brothers and father, Ms. Tia, and Kofi. I loved the way that Adunni grew from a meek young child into a woman, full of hope and joy, who is unafraid of standing up for what is right. And that ending! It was so hopeful and real to life, and it made me really happy. I loved this book; it might be one of my favorite books of the entire year! It was so rich, soulful, and hopeful that I just loved it, despite the adversity and abuse that Adunni suffered. The bottom line: Rich with detail and hopeful beyond measure, I loved The Girl with the Louding Voice! Next on deck: Black Girl Unlimited by Echo Brown!

Comments

Popular Posts