The Kindest Lie by Nancy Johnson Review

 Title: The Kindest Lie 


Author: Nancy Johnson 


Age Group: Adult 


Genre: Contemporary Fiction 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


I won this book through a Facebook reading group and the author sent it to me, signed—thank you so much, Nancy! 


TW: Racism, language, violence, drinking


The Kindest Lie is a novel that begins on the eve of President Barack Obama’s win, with Ruth Tuttle and her husband, Xavier, celebrating this new progressive era in America. Xavier wants to start a family, as they are both successful Black career people: Ruth as a chemical engineer for a big detergent company, and Xavier as the vice president at a huge soft drink company. But Ruth is haunted by the ghosts of her past; in particular, the child she was forced to give up for adoption eleven years before. Tired of carrying the burden alone, she tells her husband her secret, and nearly breaks her happy marriage in the process. Forced to confront her past, she returns to her hometown of Ganton, Indiana, which is a hotbed of racial tension. Dark secrets about Ruth’s own family arise as she befriends a young white boy, nicknamed Midnight. Will Ruth find the answers she so desperately seeks to the question blooming in her mind and heart over the last eleven years, or will her presence just serve to ignite the sparks that lurk in the small town? 


In honor of Black History Month in February, I decided to go through my home library and find books by Black authors. My husband actually picked this one, and I devoured it in a day and a half. The prose was both simple and lyrical, the pacing breakneck; I loved the way the narrative went back and forth between Ruth, the married mother of an adopted child, and Midnight, the boy from a broken home so desperate for connection that he latches on to anyone who shows him attention. I loved the way that this book captured the scope of America’s original sin, racism, and put it under a microscope. I found myself sobbing, laughing, and screaming as the narrative went on; I was absolutely spellbound. All of the characters, not just Ruth and Midnight, were so well-drawn, especially Mama, Eli, and the boys that Midnight hangs out with, Sebastian, Pancho, and Corey. There was so much tension in the book at several points that my heart felt like it was being pulled taut, especially towards the end of the novel. This book is definitely one of my very favorites that I’ve read this year; a searing, heartwarming debut that was fully realized! Nancy Johnson, without a doubt, is a new author to watch out for! The bottom line: Rich, searing, and relevant, especially in today’s political landscape, I loved The Kindest Lie! Absolutely stunning! Next on deck: The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare! 

Comments

Popular Posts