A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy I. Lin Review

 Title: A Magic Steeped in Poison

Author: Judy I. Lin


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy


Series: The Book of Tea,  book one


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


When I first heard of this novel, I was so intrigued that I ordered it from my local library. It had been sitting at the top of my library stack, beckoning me with its gorgeous cover. But what was inside was even more unique: magic based on the properties of tea! This novel, full of political intrigue, nefarious plots, a budding romance, and magic, was totally unique and I loved every moment of it! The pacing was breakneck. The magic system was a little hard to follow, but the tools in the back of the book, explaining the world, and different terms, were immensely helpful. And that ending! I cannot wait for the second book; Judy I. Lin is an AAPI author to watch!


All Ning has ever wanted is to be a tea magic worker, like her late mother. But when she brewed the tea that poisoned and killed her, Ning’s hopes have been crushed. Now her sister Shu is suffering from the very same illness. Determined to find a cure and save her sister, she goes to the capital to enter a tea-making contest. The winner will receive a favor from the princess. Determined to win at all costs, she soon discovers there is a plot to kill the princess.  But the magic that her mother was so skilled in has a steep price: The more you give the magic, the more it takes from you. Add to that a mysterious boy with unknown motives, and Ning finds herself trapped in a web of political intrigue that she might not make it out unscathed…

I really, really enjoyed this book! Honestly, it might be one of my favorites of 2022. As soon as I finished Unravel the Dusk, I dove in. The lush world drew me in immediately, and I was captivated at once by Ning’s frank, honest voice. The pacing was breakneck, and I was rooting for Ning to become the royal tea-master every step of the way. At times the political intrigue was a little hard to follow, but the helpful guides in the back of the book really helped me sort everything out. I loved the characters, especially Ning, Kang, the princess, and Ruyi. And that ending! I cannot wait until the next book in the series! What an opener! The bottom line: As rich and comforting as a cup of hot tea, I loved A Magic Steeped in Poison! Next on deck: Little Thieves by Margaret Owen!

Comments

Popular Posts