Electric Idol by Katee Robert Review

 Title: Electric Idol

Author: Katee Robert


Age Group: Adult


Genre: Romance/Erotica


Series: Dark Olympus, book two


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

TW: Sex on-page, violence on-page, murder off-page, abuse and neglect on-page. If any of these things trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


Katee Robert completely captured my heart with Neon Gods, so as soon as I was finished with it, I ordered Electric Idol. It had been sitting on the top of my library stack, and I couldn’t get into The City of Dusk by Tara Sim, so I just moved on. Taking place a few years after the events of Neon Gods, I loved this new story of Psyche and Eros, given a modern, sexy spin. Normally I’m not one to read romance or even erotica, but Katee Robert has become the exception to the rule. Hot, heartfelt, and emotional, I loved Electric Idol! At times it felt like the Black characters were really flat, but overall, this second offering was wonderful. Robert is quickly becoming one of my favorite romance authors!


Eros Ambrosia has always known his purpose: to be the knife in the dark for his bitter, spiteful mother, Aphrodite. So, when she tells him to bring Psyche Dimitrou’s heart on a platter, he just assumes it will be another routine job. But when he actually meets Psyche, fiery, protective, and caring, he finds that he just can’t kill her. So he comes up with a dangerous, delicious solution to the problem: a marriage to protect Psyche from his mother. But soon the line between business and pleasure blurs, and both Psyche and Eros begin to wonder: Is this love?


I really liked this book, possibly even better than Neon Gods, were it not for the Black characters being so one-dimensional. The pacing was breakneck, and I loved the way the book went back and forth between Eros and Psyche. I also loved how this book pulled back the curtain further on Olympus, introducing new characters like Eros’s best friend, Helen. The romance in this book made me melt; I absolutely adored the romance between Psyche and Eros. Aphrodite made for a frightening, chilling villain; I loved the way Robert took all of her negative qualities and amped them up. And that ending! I cannot wait for the next book in this series, because it has swiftly become one of my favorites! The bottom line: Romantic, dark, and full of tension, I loved Electric Idol! Next on deck: This Woven Kingdom by Tahereh Mafi!

Comments

Popular Posts