This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron Review

 Title: This Poison Heart

Author: Kalynn Bayron


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy


Series: This Poison Heart, book one


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


I read Kalynn Bayron’s debut, Cinderella Is Dead, back when it first came out, and I loved it; it was the queer fairy tale retelling I’ve been waiting for. I read This Poison Heart back when it first came out, but due to time constraints, I was unable to finish it the first time. This book is a fantasy that is wholly exciting and unique; this story flips what you know about Greek mythology onto its head. Full of magic, danger, and dark secrets, this series opener was absolutely fantastic; I was spellbound until long after the last page was turned! I can’t wait for This Wicked Fate!


Briseis Greene has always had a special, magical talent: greenery and plants have always been drawn to her. Talk about having a green thumb! When she inherits an old, dilapidated estate in upstate New York, she realizes that her blood relatives are hiding dark secrets, ones that could jeopardize her life and the life of her adoptive mothers. Briseis starts to dig deeper into her family’s history, and soon the origin of her powers grows ever more cloudy. But not everyone in this small town is so welcoming, and dark forces are gathering to fight for the secrets Bri’s relatives fought so hard to keep hidden. When Bri discovers her powers go all the way back to ancient times, she must decide whether to embrace them or deny her heritage…


I really, really loved this book; it might be one of my favorites that I’ve read this year, and honestly, I cannot wait for This Wicked Fate! I love stories about Black Girl Magic, and this book put a brand-new spin on the classic Greek myths! I was instantly spellbound by Bri’s voice, distinct and funny and wise. The pacing was breakneck; I devoured this magical, dangerous book in three days! I also adored Bri’s mothers and the compelling mystery that her blood family presented! I loved Bri and her powers; I loved this new, modern spin on a classic concept. And that ending–I was DYING when I finished and didn’t have the next book! This book may be my new favorite of Bayron’s; it was just so well done! The bottom line: Rich with detail, intrigue, and a killer twist of an ending, I loved This Poison Heart! Next on deck: An Arrow to the Moon by Emily X.R. Pan!

Comments

Popular Posts