Gingerbread Bones by Lindsay Lovise Review

Title: Gingerbread Bones


Author: Lindsay Lovise


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Horror/Thriller


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


I was given a review copy of this book through Netgalley and the publisher, Entangled Teen–my thanks to both!


Horror has always been one of my great loves, and so when Gingerbread Bones was Read Now for Camp Netgalley, I jumped on it. This book is pitched as an ‘epic paranormal survival horror romance’, and that’s pretty spot on. But it’s also a thoughtful story about misogyny, family ties, and the lure and lies of social media. It was horrific, terrifying, and gory, but it was also warm, tender, full of hidden strength and hope. It is one of my favorite books of 2026, even while it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight. (And it’s got me seriously considering becoming a vegetarian…) This book really spoke to my spirit on many levels; it burrowed deep into my bones like the evil the kids find in the woods, and I’m sure I will be thinking about it for a long time. I’m gonna have to read some lighter things, because this book was so dark. It took the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel and twisted it into something new, but it still took the bones of the original story and built upon them. Lindsay Lovise is an author to watch!


Georgie and Hamish do not get along with their stepmother, Ashley. Her mutual bad behavior causes her to make a decision to put them on a reality show, she is certain that these will be the worst two weeks of her life: No phone. Hiking and camping with cameras capturing her every move. All of the kids on the show have secret reasons to be there, but she is inexplicably drawn to Mack, tattooed and hiding his own secrets. But the next morning, the teens discover the cameramen and the camp counselor have disappeared. They are not alone; something is stalking them through the woods, playing a sick, twisted game. Soon campers start disappearing, often with grisly things left behind. Left alone in the Maine wilderness and forced to rely on one another to survive, George and Hamish start to realize that they are there for a reason, and that reason might be murder…


This book was absolutely chilling, and right from the very start, I suspected that something was off. I was drawn in at once by Georgie, the troubled girl with behavioral issues. The pacing was breakneck; the setting was so vivid I felt like I was right in the wilderness with Georgie, Hamish, and the other campers. Every character felt distinct, but I have to admit that Georgie, Mack, Hamish, and Madison were my favorites. I was captivated, at times even against my will. Even for a horror book, this book absolutely went for it. (I’d suggest reading the trigger warnings before reading, though.) I loved the way that the author brought together human terrors and supernatural ones. It pulled no punches; I’m certain I will have nightmares tonight. And the twists! I suspected, but when they came, I was NOT ready at all! I was gasping, reading through my fingers, and fully freaking out by the time the ending came around; I was almost certain it was not going to have a happy ending. I was so glad to be proved wrong! If you’re looking for a unique horror story to give you chills and get under your skin, you should pick up Gingerbread Bones! 

Comments

Popular Posts