The Wives of Herrick Hall by Julie Lew Review

 Title: The Wives of Herrick Hall


Author: Julie Lew


Age Group: Adult


Genre: Horror/Historical Fiction


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I was given an advanced reader’s copy of this book by the publisher, Quill and Crow Publishing House, through Netgalley, my thanks to both!


Josephine Carter is more than aware she has no options. After a scandal of falling in love with another woman, her father sends her to Herrick Hall to be a companion to the lady of the house, Honora. But when Josephine arrives, she soon discovers that Herrick Hall has a mind of his own and is haunted by its own share of ghosts. In the isolated manor in the country, she finds a strange sort of kinship with Nora that slowly develops into something more. But Herrick Hall finds ways to keep them apart, aided by the main servant, Chambers. When Nora’s husband returns to the manor, the darkness that surrounds the manor reaches a fever pitch, and Josephine must decide whether her new love is worth her life, and maybe even her soul…


This book was a haunting, chilling ghost story, with a tender, secret love at its center. I really enjoyed it. Herrick Hall felt as much a character in the book as Nora, Josephine, and Alexander. The ghosts lurked at the edge of the narrative, an ever menacing presence with secrets of their own. The pacing was smooth but quick, and I found myself trying to read slowly to make the book last longer. All of the characters felt well-rendered, and the house was haunted indeed by ghosts real and imagined. Joseph and Nora’s love story was well-written and fiercely fought for; it grounded the story even through the supernatural mystery. Alexander was a believable villain, with Chambers as his loyal henchman, possessed by a force that was only hinted at until the end of the story. I really enjoyed it, and the ending felt a little open-ended. I would not be upset if there was a sequel in the works! This book is Julie Lew’s debut, and I have to say I will be watching for more from her! The Wives of Herrick Hall is a sapphic, dark ghost story, and I loved every moment of it! The bottom line: Rich with detail, full of twists and chills, I loved The Wives of Herrick Hall! Next on deck: Frida’s Cook by Florencia Etcheves!

Comments

Popular Posts