Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross Review

Title: Kill Me Softly
Author: Sarah Cross
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A grisly, and yet beautiful, homage to fairy tales and the way they shape our culture, Kill Me Softly was amazing!

Mirabelle is hiding a secret: She's running to her birthplace of Beau Rivage the week before her sixteenth birthday in an attempt to find her parents' graves. Once there, she finds herself trapped in a place where fairy tales seem to live on, and soon she finds she is in terrible danger.

What I enjoyed:
-The biggest thing I loved was the way fairy tales seemed so lifelike, and frightening
-The unique spin put on the fairy tales and the characters themselves
-Mirabelle
-Blue
-Felix
-Delilah
-Jewel
-Layla
-The way the nods to the fairy tales at times seemed subtle, and then the opposite in most cases
-I loved how the fairy tales were the Grimm retellings, and not necessarily the fluffy Disney versions--it made the story more real to me

What I didn't enjoy:
-They might not make this a series and I want more! I love, love, love the world Cross has created and I want to go into it again, albeit with a different character

If you guys love fairy tales, and fairy tale retellings, pick up Kill Me Softly! Next on deck: The Deception Dance by Rita Stradling!

Comments

Popular Posts