Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep Review

Title: Touch of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Mythos Academy, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A brand new series of magic and danger, Touch of Frost was enchanting, though at times the heroine had me rolling my eyes.

Gwen Frost is a Gypsy, with the power of psychometry--she can sense emotions when she touches an object or a person--stuck at the posh Mythos Academy, where rich kids, all descendants of warriors and magic, ignore her and when they are noticing her, belittle her. But things change one night when she is working at the library: A classmate dies, brutally and bloodily, and Gwen is determined to figure out what happened, especially since she was the one who was supposed to die.

What I loved:
-Gwen, though at times her snarkiness had me rolling my eyes, and her evolution throughout the book
-Daphne
-The whole premise of it all, though it reminded me closely at times of Percy Jackson and the Olympians
-The mythology
-The mystery it presented--I cannot wait for the next one!
-Metis
-Grandma Frost

What I didn't enjoy:
-Sometimes the mythology confused me a little--it was really odd at times
-As I said, Gwen's constant sarcasm
-I'd like to have more of the mythology explained in the next novel if it is possible

I loved Touch of Frost, though it had a few minor flaws, and I can't wait for the sequel. Next on deck: White Cat by Holly Black!

Comments

Popular Posts