Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle Review

Title: Queen's Gambit
Author: Elizabeth Fremantle
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Beautiful, realistic, and chilling, I loved Queen's Gambit!

I received Queen's Gambit as an advanced reader's copy here on Goodreads. A tale of the Tudor court from the eyes of Henry's last queen, Katherine Parr, it was a real treat! Tudor stories are a dime a dozen these days, but this is the first I've ever seen that involved the one queen who survived the wrath of Henry the Eighth. The book chronicles Katherine from her second marriage to her death. The writing to me was realistic of the time period, and the author really did her research--everything I've seen in the book lines up. There was nothing I didn't enjoy in this novel--it was, simply, one of the best novels I've read set in that time period.

What I enjoyed:
-Katherine
-Dot
-the present tense in which it was written--I couldn't wait to see what happened next and I was hanging on the edge of my seat at points
-the accuracy for the time period
-the way women's roles were depicted--it was realistic and yet the author was taking a stand in her own way, as well
-The way the other queens were mentioned, which made it that much more real to me
-the beautiful writing style
-the depiction of Henry--it was spot on from what I've read!

I really enjoyed Queen's Gambit. Thank you, Elizabeth Fremantle, and thank you, Goodreads! Next on deck: Also Known As by Robin Benway!

Comments

Popular Posts