Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike Review

Title: Life After Theft
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A teenage spin on The Scarlet Pimpernel, Life After Theft was really funny and sweet, and I really wanted to love it, but Kimberlee--one of the main characters--at times fell flat for me and even bogged down the story.

Jeff Clayson is a normal kid with the usual problems: In moving from Phoenix to sunny, glamorous California, he has to start over, in a school full of privileged rich kids. As if this wasn't enough, he's being haunted by the ghost of former mean girl and total klepto, Kimberlee. He's the only one that can see her, and she's got a lot of unfinished business to take care of before she moves on to the afterlife. (re: a lot of people to apologize to and a lot of crap to return.) On the way, he finds love, friendship, and the true meaning of facing who you really are.

What I enjoyed:
-the hilarious prose, narrated by the wry, sarcastic Jeff (I was reminded of John Green a little bit)
-The daunting task that Jeff is faced with--helping a spoiled girl return spoiled items and face herself
-Sera--she was one of the only people who felt authentic at times
-Khail
-Most of Jeff's teachers and friends
-Jeff's parents
-Kimberlee's journey to facing herself and her deeds
-The haunting--Kimberlee was funny, if nothing else
-The way the theme of facing yourself rang true in the story
-The pacing of the prose--I couldn't put it down

What I didn't enjoy:
-Kimberlee, mostly--at times her selfishness and spoiled ways, as well as her constant lying, bogged down the story and had me feeling weary to the finish

I just liked Life After Theft--it fell short for me, though I'm sure Pike's fans would enjoy it. Next on deck: Poison, by Bridget Zinn!

Comments

Popular Posts