The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge Review

Title: The Iron Thorn
Author: Caitlin Kittredge
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Steampunk/Fantasy
Series: The Iron Codex, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Lush, dark, gorgeous, and an amazing puzzler, The Iron Thorn swept me away into the world of Lovecraft, and I didn't want to leave--I can't wait for The Nightmare Garden!

Aoife Grayson lives in the city of Lovecraft, a city ruled by technology and by the Proctors with iron fists. Forced to bow to the ideals of science rationality, 'heretics'--practitioners of magic and believers of pagan rites, Aoife discovers her brother is missing. Sneaking out of Lovecraft with her best friend, Cal, and the enigmatic heretic Dean Harrison, Aoife unearths the secrets of her heritage--and secrets that could shatter the foundation of her life forever.

What I enjoyed:
-The lush, gorgeous, dark prose
-The frightening but seductive world that Aoife inhabits
-Aoife's spunk and her family loyalty
-Cal
-Dean
-Bethina
-The puzzling secrets that had me rapidly turning pages and freaking out
-Tremaine
-Nerissa and Archibald
-The ending--I can't wait for The Nightmare Garden!
-Draven
-The steampunk mythology laced throughout the novel
-The romance that had me swooning the entire time

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times I felt like the numerous creatures named in the novel weren't explained enough (i.e, nightjars)
-Sometimes the prose lost me
-Cal's sexist comments

I loved The Iron Thorn--it was wonderful! I'm not sure what's next on deck yet, but once I decide, I'll update you guys!

Comments

Popular Posts