Passenger by Alexandra Bracken Review

Title: Passenger
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Passenger, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Truthwitch turned out to be a major bust, so when I got to Passenger, I had mixed feelings. I'd heard good and bad things about it, and I was worried that I wasn't going to enjoy it. I've read her debut novel, The Darkest Minds, a few years before, and really liked it. So to say that I was ambivalent about this novel is to make a huge understatement. (Plus, look at that cover! It's so beautiful! The bottle! The city! The lettering!)

But, happily, my worries were unfounded, especially when I really let myself go, and enjoy the story. This book was, for me, like throwing the door open to a new and dangerous world, where time is used for man's own ends and nothing is really as it seems. I was absolutely spellbound by this lovely, gorgeous adventure that this Passenger. I loved every single moment of it, and the only bad thing is that the sequel won't be here until 2017! (Excuse me while I curl up in a ball and cry for the next ten months...)

Passenger begins with seventeen year old Etta, a promising young virtuoso, at her debut. But things are quickly thrown off course when she finds her mother has disappeared. And just to complicate things a wee bit, she discovers that her mother's past is riddled with dark secrets, and as if that wasn't enough, throwing in dynamic characters that only cause its star to shine further--I loved Etta completely, as well as the other characters that populated the novel.

The pacing of this novel was immediate--I was sucked in immediately, the book holding my heart from the very first line. It was such a meaty adventure story, with so many other wonderful elements tucked away inside it, like romance, suspense, and intrigue. And it helped a lot that there were so many twists and turns that I was frantically reading, breathless, hanging on every single word until the very end. If all time travel stories are like this, I may have found a brand-new subgenre for 2016. Yay!

I loved pretty much all of this book, but it wasn't totally perfect: Sometimes, with the information dumping, I had to go back and reread so I could fully understand everything. But nonetheless, Bracken has crafted a beautiful tale that I loved--I can't wait to see where the series is headed! The bottom line: A breathless adventure full of twists, romance, and excitement--one of my favorites of the year! Next on deck: Seven Black Diamonds by Melissa Marr! (P.S: Happy Easter everyone! May you enjoy pleasant company, great food, and of course, candy!)

Comments

Popular Posts