Those Girls by Chevy Stevens Review

Title: Those Girls: A Novel
Author: Chevy Stevens
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this from my local library and reviewed it.

My best friend came home from work and asked me if I'd heard of a book called Those Girls, by Chevy Stevens. I told her it sounded familiar, but I wasn't sure. One of her friends at work had been currently reading it at the time and she wanted me to read it, just to see what I thought of it, and since she recommended Perfume, and I loved it, I figured I'd give it a shot. (Yay for best bud recommendations!) It's been sitting in my library loan stack for a few weeks now, and I finally got to it!

Normally, mysteries and thrillers scare me, but not for the reason you'd think. If I can predict a mystery, I lose interest immediately and want to move on. After all, what's the fun in reading a mystery novel if you can predict everything that's going to happen? I love them, if they're done correctly. (That is to say, if I can't predict every single twist and turn, but on to the point.)

This is the first novel I've ever read by Chevy Stevens. To be frank, I'd never even heard of her, until my best friend prompted me to order Those Girls through the library system. I'm so happy that this was my first novel by her though, because it certainly won't end up being my last!

Those Girls tells the story of the Campbell sisters: Dani, Courtney, and Jess, all three with dreams and ambitions, and a deep and fierce love for one another, and that love carries them deep into darkness. The book begins in 1995, when Jess, one of the narrators, is fourteen, and continues to go back and forth between each sister, until the second half of the book, where the reader meets Skylar, Jess's young teenage daughter. The pacing of this novel was what initially sold me in the first place--Once I began reading, there was no hope of putting it down.

I don't want to give too much away about the plot--this was such a good book, and I'd rather not spoil it for my readers who may want to check it out. But this mystery literally has something for everyone: a trio of tight-knit, fiercely loving sisters, twists and turns so abundant I kept gasping at almost every chapter, sympathetic characters, frightening villians, and a great ending. Don't miss out on this book, especially if you love mysteries or thrillers! The bottom line: My first novel by Chevy Stevens, and most definitely not my last, Those Girls was a high-octane, nail-biting mystery that I devoured in a matter of days--highly recommended for fans of mysteries, thrillers, and dark revenge stories! Next on deck: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard!

Comments

Popular Posts