Seven Black Diamonds by Melissa Marr Review

Title: Seven Black Diamonds
Author: Melissa Marr
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Lilywhite Abernathy, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I'll be honest here: Melissa Marr is one of my favorite authors, so when I saw that Seven Black Diamonds was in our library system, I wasn't exactly impartial. After all, her debut, Wicked Lovely, was one of my very first fantasy novels about faeries, and to this day it remains one of my favorite young adult series of all time. (Does it count if I haven't technically finished it yet? Lol.) I was so excited to read this: I mean, a brand new journey into a world I thought I knew! This isn't technically a sequel or a standalone--more a spinoff, set in a familiar but still different world, a world in which humans and faeries are in the middle of a bloody, centuries-long battle for the earth they both share.

At the center of it all is Lilywhite Abernathy, the daughter of a notorious crime lord--a fae crime lord, no less. She is used to being at her fae father's side, and she lives a privilged, happy life. That is, until she is thrust into the dangerous realm of faerie politics, and into a sleeper cell of half-fae, half-human terrorists who work for two of the most powerful faeries in existence. Tangled up in a web of intrigue, secrets, and danger, Lilywhite must learn how to truly be herself and master her power, or else the consequences will be steep...

I loved this book, plain and simple, for pretty much everything. I loved the pacing--I was immediately thrown into the narrative, and its short, breakneck chapters, shifting between characters, helped with the overall effect. If there wasn't heart-stopping action and gore, there was plenty of political intrigue and secrets for me to ponder on, as well as sweet, heartbreaking romance. God, I want more! There better be a sequel, or I'll die! (Please!?)

But what really sold this book for me were its characters: hard-as-nails Lilywhite, the angsty, swoon-worthy Creed, sharp-tongued Violet, quiet, obedient Zephyr, sweet, supportive Alkamy, and last but certainly not least, Roan and Will, mysterious and often quiet. And then there were characters outside of the Diamonds themselves: The King and Queen, their family, and the fae that live out of the human realm. If a book has characters that I care for and grow to love, I'm going to love the book itself. The bottom line: What can I say? This fantasy book has something for everyone: faeries, political intrigue, sweeping romance, heart-stopping action--I loved it, and I can't wait for the sequel! Next on deck: Riders by Veronica Rossi!

Comments

Popular Posts