Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine Review

Title: Paper and Fire
Author: Rachel Caine
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Great Library, book two
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Ink and Bone was one of my favorite novels of last year. The premise of the novel enchanted me entirely. I mean, a worldwide, gigantic evil Library? Yes, sign me up. I've been anticipating the sequel ever since I finished the first book. And, for the most part, Caine delivered. The sequel was meaty and satisfying, full of action, thrills, and excitement, as well as a healthy dose of political intrigue and plenty of twists and secrets to keep readers turning the pages, until the terrifying, jaw-dropping conclusion.

As far as sequels go, this one wasn't bad--it was satisfying, for the most part. I was a little nervous at first, because sequels are so hit and miss with me. But this book was lovely. Not as good as the first book, unfortunately, but it wasn't bad. I really enjoyed it. Paper and Fire picks up where Ink and Bone left off--Jess is now a full-fledged member of The Great Library, in the thick of the seductive political game that runs the organization. Forced to go deeper into the Library, Jess discovers that secrets hide in the most unlikely places, and he must decide whether to dedicate his life to the tyranny of the Great Library, or fight to change the world, even if it means risking death.

Like I said, I really enjoyed this book, though not as much as the first one. It delivered in some ways and fell short in others. It was so satisfying and exciting, full of twists and turns and lots of context and continuation. I loved the way the worldbuilding was expanded, and the way that all of the characters were expanded on, especially Jess and Morgan. But I think my favorite part of the novel was the political intrigue. That's part of what really drove the novel, and it was wonderful. There were also so many twists and turns that I kept frantically turning pages, unable to put it down until the final page. But at times the narrative felt like it fell through a little bit. I feel like some of the magic that made the first one so awesome was lost in translation in Paper and Fire. The bottom line: A satisfying and meaty sequel, for the most part, Paper and Fire delivered--I can't wait for the third book! Next on deck: Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa Gregory!

Comments

Popular Posts