The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Helling Review

Title: The Girl From Everywhere
Author: Heidi Hellig
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Girl From Everywhere, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Time travel books. God, it's a trope that I both love and hate. And it's a trope that's grown increasingly popular. When I see a book's premise involving time travel, I immediately get anxious. Because when they're done well, they're one of my favorite tropes in fiction, not just young adult. But when they're done badly, they're bad. Sometimes, unforgivably so. Some miss the mark so entirely you're sitting there thinking, "What in the world did I just read?". There's only so much suspension of disbelief one can use, even as an avid, voracious reader.

But, as usual, I'm getting ahead of myself here. My worries were for the most part unfounded. The Girl From Everywhere tells the story of the sad, lonely Nix, whose only home has been her father's ship, The Temptation. A reluctant co-conspirator at her father's side, she longs to learn to Navigate (the term for time travel in this book), to forge her own path and escape her father's ghosts. Nix's father has spent the entirety of her sixteen years alive Navigating, hopping from time and place in hopes of finding her late mother alive. When she is forced to go into the past, despite her doubts about her own future, Nix discovers that this might be the adventure she doesn't escape from unscathed...

First of all, I really liked the prose. I loved it, in fact. It was beautiful and simple, full of power and magic. (If there's a way to win my heart from the get go, it's amazing writing.) The pacing was breakneck--when I began reading, I couldn't put it down. I was absolutely spellbound. But it was Nix herself that really stole my heart--I found a friend in her. She was so bogged down by doubt, anxiety, and fear, but she put on a really good front and for the most part didn't show it. I loved her, every flawed, crazy part of her. I really related to her. (And the addition of the seductive, comically talent Kashmir didn't hurt either... My baby! <3 And Blake, my heart!) It also didn't hurt that this book was an adventure in every sense of the word--I was hanging on the edge of my seat as I traveled with Nix, her father, and friends across time and space. I couldn't get enough of this book, and I was so sad when it was over! When does the sequel come out?

Unfortunately, I couldn't give this book a complete five stars--at times the time travel got confusing, and it was never really explained how the people in the book came to have the ability to Navigate. Nonetheless, it was a fantastic, exciting adventure of a debut novel! I can't wait for more from Heidi Hellig! The bottom line: A swashbuckling, romantic adventure through time and space, The Girl From Everywhere is one of my favorite novels of 2016! I need the sequel right now! Next on deck: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas!

Comments

Popular Posts